Friday, June 29, 2007

3D effects sweet..... But......

I was very very excited when I first enabled those effects that I have described in the post below.... But as good as it gets when all correct, it's not at all good if it goes wrong....

I ignored the hardware requirements for the graphics card, required for either beryl or compiz. I just installed them on my laptop with 915GM chipset having on-board graphics. And, after I finished the last post and then woke up next morning to switch on the laptop, I found out that I was locked outside all WMs (Windows Managers). I tried Gnome, KDE, icewm, xfce, but all crashed. So, I disabled XGL from command line (thank god I payed attention to people telling me to learn the shell....). Then I logged in.

The system was behaving strange. All apps kept crashing. And windows kept switching by themselves. I didn't know what to do. I spent all the time since then trying to sort things out. But alas, I had to reinstall OpenSuSE 10.2 again on my laptop. And now the system is back in it's formal glory (whatever it had).

So, good as they are, those graphics. Unless you have a graphics card or a chipset that is supported by them, don't go for them. I thought, at most they won't run as my chipset is not supported.... but it ran, and crashed the whole system.....

No comments: