Tuesday, June 26, 2007

XGL + Compiz..... and the result is..... Fantastic.....

I am bored. I mean that is the only this that I do these days.... Be bored and drive other around you nuts....


I had gone to a friends' place today and saw his laptop with Ubuntu installed. He also had beryl and XGL enabled on it. It looked great (for more info visit this). So I had been wondering, if my laptop will be able to get the effects ready with OpenSuSE 10.2. And the answer was complicated.



I first installed beryl. Then enabled the 3D acceleration for the on-board graphics card. And then restarted X as usual. But it crashed. I tried again, but it again crashed. So I disabled XGL from command line and started X. It was alright. Then I reinstalled beryl... no change, then I removed it and went on with XGL-Compiz combo. And it's been working flawlessly (almost) since then. I also installed GL Desktop from OpenSuSE's XGL repository. It's a good tool to configure XGL-Compiz.



I have provided some screenshots of what you can achieve with this. If you want to see what beryl can do, then I suggest you take a look at this. For me, compiz rocks.




Another Screenshot for you......

No comments: