Saturday, September 22, 2007

Of goods and bads....

Finally I have reinstalled gnome and am back on my laptop. As mentioned in the last post I had some problems with the installation of OpenSuSE 10.2. I had tried to update gnome. But the version that I updated to did not have any other common package contents in the repository. So the things went bad. And I ended up with a system with the front-end of gnome 2.18 and the common packages of 2.16.

So, when I booted back into SuSE, I was greeted by a new look that did not have any menu items, it did not recognize any other gnome components. So, the system was in a state where I was not able to do anything in gnome. I mean.. not even the gnome terminal was accessible.

I tried using FFWM, TWM and even CLI, but was not able to restore the system to the initial stage, before the upgrade. So, I used the final option and restored the entire gnome system right off the installation DVD.

Now I have to spend hours again on system upgrade. But I have a better option. Wait for the stable release of OpenSuSE 10.3. That is scheduled to release on the 4th of October this year. And I think that would be better. So, no updates, just wait for some 15 days + the time required to D/L the DVD on this so called crap broadband connection.... Time off....

No comments: