Tuesday, September 25, 2007

OpenSuSE 10.3 RC1 KDE LIVE CD.... my first experience.... a short review....


I am using the RC1 KDE LIVE CD release of Novell's OpenSuSE 10.3. And I hate to say, impressive though it looks, I am not much satisfied with it.

System Used:

  • HP nx-6110 notebook.
  • 512MB DDR RAM,
  • Pentium M - 1.6GHz.
Maybe it is because of the Live CD or maybe because of KDE (I use gnome otherwise), but this release, which is supposed to be almost the final release, not an RC, is not what I had in my mind.

The things began with the CD unable to configure the X server. It was not able to recognize the screen resolution. Then, I manually gave the resolution and booted into the system.

I was welcomed by a very good looking welcome screen. The looks are killing. But, when the system started and I was trying to view the installer, I was greeted by an error saying that KDE returned with an error regarding 'su'.

I have been using OpenSuSE 10.2 on this very system for about 9 months now, and never experienced anything of this sort. To add to the problems, the OS cannot recognize the scroll zone of the touchpad.

I will give it another try, but if the final release is going to be like this, then SuSE is loosing it's touch. It may well be dipping low. BUT, I will have a go at this LIVE CD again and then will return with more. Till then, let me enjoy (???) this new release...

For more info, visit the announcement regarding this release.


No comments: