Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Website Design Progress Report.....

Hey.... The design of the new website is not going as per my plans. The reasons were many and the most of them were unavoidable. But I guess it happens. Life would be much more easier if I had the source code. But, the only source code I have got at my hand is of that site of mine. And I have not been able to put up with my schedule. I had planned it to be over within this month. But that seems highly difficult, if not impossible.

I have designed only 7 pages so far. No sitemap. No articles written. No photographs sorted and selected. And, to add to my worries, I have been having a trouble deciding whether or not to go for a CMS (Content Management System) for my website.

The benefits are many. The most important one being the ability to update the content dynamically. So, I gave a try to some CMSs. But, there were many problems. The major one being that I do not know PHP yet, and knowledge of PHP is a must to use CMS effectively and to create custom themes. Also, getting full knowledge of a CMS is not as easy as it looks, especially when it is an Open Source one. You have to digg and digg to get the info.

So, due to lack to time, I decided not to go for a CMS in early stages. Just create a base site. Upload it and run a test site on some subdomain and get familiar with the CMS and then start using it. Till then the only CMS I will be using it wordpress. That too because I found the theme I was looking for.

Until further news....

No comments: